Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Homemade Cherry Cheesecake with Graham Cracker Crust

So, my husband doesn't really like cakes.  Or sweets in general.  He's gotten better as we've been together for so long and I make lots of cakes, but still he doesn't really like the icing on a cake.  Anyway, he LOVES cheesecake.  Cherry cheesecake.  He actually likes the fake stuff.  I've never had it, but he told me one day just how much he liked it.  I decided then and there I would eventually make him a REAL cherry cheesecake.  And I did. 

I really didn't know how to do it.  I made a cheesecake my sophomore year in highschool which was AMAZING but we worked in teams, and it wasn't a cherry cheesecake.  It was a 5 or 6 layer chocolate cheesecake with oreo crust.  It was however AWESOME.  Anyway, I had no clue what recipe to follow for this, so I kind of mixed in multiple recipes online and it turned out great. Let me say though, this is time consuming.  Takes a total of around 2 hours cook time and 4 hours of refridgeration...
Here it is though,





Ingredients:


For Crust:
2 c Graham Cracker Crumbs, about 1 1/2 pkg if you crush them yourself like I did.
3 tbsp sugar
1/3 c butter

For Cake Mixture:

4 pkgs cream cheese, 32 oz total
1 1/3 c sugar
3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
4 tsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sour cream

For Topping :
1 can cherry pie filling



Directions :

For Crust :
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Spray springform pan with vegetable oil spray
I crushed my graham crackers with a pan until they were very fine crumbs. You could use a food processor or rolling pin as well
Place crumbs in small bowl

Melt butter in microwave
Add butter and sugar to your graham cracker mixture.
Press this mixture into the bottom of springform pan and around the sides of the pan as well.
 


For Cake Mixture :
Place a pan of hot water on bottom rack of your oven.
In a large bowl on medium, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy. May take around 3 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl with a spatula as you mix.
Add in sugar, Flour, Vanilla, Almond extract, and salt; mix well.
With the mixer on low, add your eggs and yolk one at a time.
When mixture is creamy and smooth, beat in sour cream until the mixture is lump free and fluffy.
Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake 20 minutes at 325;
Reduce oven temperature to 250°
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cake is set around edges and almost set in middle.
Turn off oven, leave door closed for 45 minutes-1 hour or until it is at room temperature again.
Remove your cheesecake from oven, and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Just prior to serving, spread filling over the top of the cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment